Your appeal to Presbyterian history at a "time and place" as a standard for all circumstances is wooden... and assumes they universally and slavishly simply aped others without considering what came before...

It's not the opinion of a single communicant member with an internet connection and a web page that says: "Oh, that's not Presbyetian because I have these articles that tell me you're wrong."

...because Acts doesn't report any questions by the Apostles to individuals before they were baptized does not mean that this is the standard for all times in how this process works...

Because you have an article on Schism and Separatism, you are by definition, immune from a schismatic spirit?
Elder Rich,

You have imputed so many things to me that are false, nearly every time you respond, things I never have said nor believe (not to mention how you do this to others; and I do not do this to you), and as I don't need to defend myself from your constant accusations: see ya later.

Last edited:
I do not believe that is true. Adherents in the RPCNA can be disciplined and excommunicated. That was made clear to me when I joined as such. What leads you to believe otherwise? The only thing that the RPCNA's constituting documents deny an adherent is voting in congregational meetings (adherents "...have no vote in the congregational meetings." RPCNA Directory for Church Government, p.D-4). They can even sign the call of a minister ("Opportunity shall be given the communicant members and adherents of the congregation to sign the call....adherents may sign the call....Any communicant member or adherent may request the clerk of the session to add his name to the call" Ibid. p.D-17)!

I believe this also is an inaccurate portrayal of what an adherent is in the RPCNA: "Persons, not members of the congregation, who regularly attend the services, participate in the worship, and contribute to the support are known as adherents." (Ibid. p.D-4, emphasis added). How are the bold items - and participating in the call of a minister - not "responsibilities"?

That is a very limited "responsibility," and it falls short of the responsibilities of full members.

There is a reason that the constitution distinguishes between members and adherents--because they are not the same thing. Different situations, different expectations.

@smalltown_puritan already alluded to the fact that the church cannot discipline you. He is right. You cannot be disciplined because there is no formalized commitment.

RPCNA Constitution, Discipline, Chapter 3, Dealing with Sin in the Church--Corporate Responsibility

"1. If session or a higher court learns of a sinning member..." No reference to adherents

"2. If there is reasonable evidence that a member is teaching heresy, disregarding or violating the moral law, or showing contempt for the courts of the church..." No reference to adherents.

Discipline, Chapter 4 on censures

"c. Suspension - This is the temporary exclusion from the privileges of church membership, including participation in the sacraments or from the exercise of ordained office or from both. This becomes necessary when members are guilty of gross sin..." No reference to adherents.

"e. Excommunication - This is the disciplinary exclusion of a member from the visible church."

When I was serving in Grand Rapids it was our practice not to serve the Lord's Supper to those who are not members of any branch of the visible church. I've turned people away on this basis (did not enjoy doing so). Our blue book, Directory for Worship, Ch. 3 says "Only those who have been baptized and are communicant members in good standing in a true branch of Christ's visible church are to partake of the Lord's supper." It goes on to say that if they are not members in the RPCNA, we are to inquire as to where they have their membership.

I don't quite understand on what basis you are being admitted, but there is no provision in here for adherents who are not communicant members elsewhere.

I do not believe that is true. Adherents in the RPCNA can be disciplined and excommunicated. That was made clear to me when I joined as such. What leads you to believe otherwise? The only thing that the RPCNA's constituting documents deny an adherent is voting in congregational meetings (adherents "...have no vote in the congregational meetings." RPCNA Directory for Church Government, p.D-4). They can even sign the call of a minister ("Opportunity shall be given the communicant members and adherents of the congregation to sign the call....adherents may sign the call....Any communicant member or adherent may request the clerk of the session to add his name to the call" Ibid. p.D-17)!

I believe this also is an inaccurate portrayal of what an adherent is in the RPCNA: "Persons, not members of the congregation, who regularly attend the services, participate in the worship, and contribute to the support are known as adherents." (Ibid. p.D-4, emphasis added). How are the bold items - and participating in the call of a minister - not "responsibilities"?
You have highlighted the characteristic description of an adherent, but what of the essential definition: Persons, not members of the congregation . . . are known as adherents (DCG 2.4). RP Testimony 25.15 states, 'The Church must have membership requirements based on Scripture, to which every member gives his assent. Those who give such assent and their children are church members.' There is a Constitutional difference in the RPCNA between members and adherents, and the difference is rooted in the taking of vows (whether through baptism or public profession).

As to your claim that adherents can be disciplined, this is incorrect. RP Testimony 30.4, 'The authority and discipline of the Church extends to all members, irrespective of rank or station in life. Children who are baptized members are subject to that discipline.' Furthermore, the Book of Discipline only specifies the discipline of 'members' (see Section 1, Ch 3-4, E-4-6. As only members receive formal discipline, only members are given the right of appeal (Ch 5, E-7). Again, charges are specified as being pressed from one member to another (Section 2, Ch 1.2, E-9). Your claim that the Constitution allows for the discipline of adherents is incorrect.

My apologies to the rest for the 'insider baseball' on RPCNA Constitutional arguments.

Last edited:
You don't even have the right to vote for your government and, by definition, you are not submitted to any government to which you have consented.
This is not merely a Presbyterian but a universally Reformed conviction.
I do not agree that submission/consent as you are portraying it in the context of Church government is accurate. Many youth become members but cannot vote as some denominations have an age restriction on who can vote. Many Reformed denominations practice voting by male heads of households, so many women never vote or have the "right" to do so.

Have you read the history of membership vows in your own denomination? "...1894, the first edition of the Directory with membership vows was published, but it included only four of the five vows that would come to be used by the PCA.... In conclusion, the five membership vows used by the PCA were added to the Directory for Worship of the Book of Church Order by the PCUS in response to the growth of parachurch-interdenominational ministries in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries."
We require Church membership as the Church that a person is a member therein defines it.
I read the rules carefully when I asked to join PB:

"Puritan Board Rules"

"Requirements for Membership"

"1. Church Membership Required."

"Provide your church or give enough information why you do not have a church that the admins can weigh a rare exception in your case."

If you have changed your mind about allowing me to be a member, that is your privilege.

I was up to now not aware of this debate, but really it looks like this should be simple from a Reformed Presbyterian perspective:
Does God's word command membership vows, or imply them by good and necessary consequence?

If the answer is yes - show me and @Northern Crofter the passage or the good and necessary consequence. Then the question becomes exegetical.

To clarify, it might be yes, I am simply trying to get us back to the underlying question.

You have highlighted the characteristic description of an adherent, but what of the essential definition: Persons, not members of the congregation . . . are known as adherents (DCG 2.4). RP Testimony 25.15 states, 'The Church must have membership requirements based on Scripture, to which every member gives his assent. Those who give such assent and their children are church members.' There is a Constitutional difference in the RPCNA between members and adherents, and the difference is rooted in the taking of vows (whether through baptism or public profession).

As to your claim that adherents can be disciplined, this is incorrect. RP Testimony 30.4, 'The authority and discipline of the Church extends to all members, irrespective of rank or station in life. Children who are baptized members are subject to that discipline.' Furthermore, the Book of Discipline only specifies the discipline of 'members' (see Section 1, Ch 3-4, E-4-6. As only members receive formal discipline, only members are given the right of appeal (Ch 5, E-7). Again, charges are specified as being pressed from one member to another (Section 2, Ch 1.2, E-9). Your claim that the Constitution allows for the discipline of adherents is incorrect.

My apologies to the rest for the 'insider baseball' on RPCNA Constitutional arguments.
I genuinely appreciate the pastoral comments from you and Jake. I think to continue further public discussion wouldn't really be helpful - I am not about to throw my Session under the bus for obeying the commands of God over and against those of man. I have done everything I can to become a formal member in my congregation. I have placed myself under my Session's discipline knowing that I have no access to appealing their discipline. But I cannot in good conscience give assent to all of the vows (just part of one, really) required, and there is much more to the situation than I should share in a public forum.

You have imputed so many things to me that are false, nearly every time you respond, things I never have said nor believe (not to mention how you do this to others; and I do not do this to you), and as I don't need to defend myself from your constant accusations: see ya later.
You mistake the imputing of false charges with the implications I am drawing from your articles and the running commentary you place therein. Nobody is forcing you to post articles from your self-ascribed: "Best, Free, Biblical, Reformed Books & Articles Online:" You certainly have many articles online. Whether they are the best is what I take issue with.

It's a "drive-by" comment to state that Presbyterians agree with you on how one ought to take Acts 2 when I challenged how a Church would govern the admission of Church members. You invite reductio ad absurdum with your responses.

Are the the vows in question?
The RPCNA Covenant of Communicant Membership is as follows:

Do you believe the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments to be the Word of God, the only infallible rule for faith and life?
Do you believe in the one living and true God — Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, as revealed in the Scriptures?
Do you repent of your sin; confess your guilt and helplessness as a sinner against God; profess Jesus Christ, Son of God, as your Saviour and Lord; and dedicate yourself to His service: Do you promise that you will endeavor to forsake all sin, and to conform your life to His teaching and example?
Do you promise to submit in the Lord to the teaching and government of this church as being based upon the Scriptures and described in substance in the Constitution of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America? Do you recognize your responsibility to work with others in the church and do you promise to support and encourage them in their service to the Lord? In case you should need correction in doctrine or life, do you promise to respect the authority and discipline of the church?
To the end that you may grow in the Christian life, do you promise that you will diligently read the Bible, engage in private prayer, keep the Lord’s Day, regularly attend the worship services, observe the appointed sacraments, and give to the Lord’s work as He shall prosper you?
Do you purpose to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness in all the relationships of life, faithfully to perform your whole duty as a true servant of Jesus Christ, and seek to win others to Him?
Do you make this profession of faith and purpose in the presence of God, in humble reliance upon His grace, as you desire to give your account with joy at the Last Great Day?
(source)

Have you read the history of membership vows in your own denomination? "...1894, the first edition of the Directory with membership vows was published, but it included only four of the five vows that would come to be used by the PCA.... In conclusion, the five membership vows used by the PCA were added to the Directory for Worship of the Book of Church Order by the PCUS in response to the growth of parachurch-interdenominational ministries in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries."
Yes, I have. As I noted previously, Presbyterianism implies deliberative assembly and governance to deal with the circumstances within the Church.

Anyone who lives in a modern context in which members are wont to spend their time, energy, and resources in support of everything beside the local Church understands why it is necessary that membership entails a commitment to the ministry and work of the local Church.

Some might say: "Well, it's implied that a person who is a member of a local Church understands that this is the place of Word and Sacrament and discipline and that everyone understands that without making it explicit."

The problem is that many do not understand this.

We are commanded by the Apostle to provide for the ministry of Word and Sacrament. This can only occur if the members understand and commit to the duties implied. We ask them to promise to do that which the Word of God itself already commands.

Someone made the point earlier that the whole point of membership questions is to make explicit what the expectations of the Church are for its members. We do not ask them to commit to anything more than what the Word of God makes explicit it the duty of any member of Christ's Church.

Now that I think about it, the language is interesting. The last two vows in becoming a member in the PCA, are worded in the way of "do you promise?" It is kind of interesting that to become a member somebody has to promise to study the purity and peace of the PCA.

I was up to now not aware of this debate, but really it looks like this should be simple from a Reformed Presbyterian perspective:
Does God's word command membership vows, or imply them by good and necessary consequence?
God's Word commands the lawful taking of oaths and vows when the oaccsion justifies it and is required by lawful governemtn:

Chapter XXII​

Of Lawful Oaths and Vows​

I. A lawful oath is part of religious worship,1 wherein, upon just occasion, the person swearing solemnly calls God to witness what he asserts, or promises, and to judge him according to the truth or falsehood of what he swears.2
II. The name of God only is that by which men ought to swear, and therein it is to be used with all holy fear and reverence.3Therefore, to swear vainly, or rashly, by that glorious and dreadful Name; or, to swear at all by any other thing, is sinful, and to be abhorred.4 Yet, as in matters of weight and moment, an oath is warranted by the Word of God, under the New Testament as well as under the old;5 so a lawful oath, being imposed by lawful authority, in such matters, ought to be taken.6
III. Whosoever takes an oath ought duly to consider the weightiness of so solemn an act, and therein to avouch nothing but what he is fully persuaded is the truth:7 neither may any man bind himself by oath to any thing but what is good and just, and what he believes so to be, and what he is able and resolved to perform.8 9
IV. An oath is to be taken in the plain and common sense of the words, without equivocation, or mental reservation.10 It cannot oblige to sin; but in any thing not sinful, being taken, it binds to performance, although to a man's own hurt.11 Not is it to be violated, although made to heretics, or infidels.12
V. A vow is of the like nature with a promissory oath, and ought to be made with the like religious care, and to be performed with the like faithfulness.13
VI. It is not to be made to any creature, but to God alone:14 and that it may be accepted, it is to be made voluntarily, out of faith, and conscience of duty, in way of thankfulness for mercy received, or for the obtaining of what we want, whereby we more strictly bind ourselves to necessary duties: or, to other things, so far and so long as they may fitly conduce thereunto.15
VII. No man may vow to do any thing forbidden in the Word of God, or what would hinder any duty therein commanded, or which is not in his own power, and for the performance whereof he has no promise of ability from God.16 In which respects, popish monastical vows of perpetual single life, professed poverty, and regular obedience, are so far from being degrees of higher perfection, that they are superstitious and sinful snares, in which no Christian may entangle himself.17

As an example, if the Session asks: Do you believe that you are a sinner in the sight of God and justly deserve his wrath and displeasure? then it is appropriate that the answer given be backed up by an oath before God that he really believes this.

Likewise, when we ordain officers in the Church, some may ask: "Where in the Scriptures does it require either explicitly or by GNC that the officer vows that He believes that the Scriptures are the inerrant and infallible Word of God?" then we answer by the same standard.

Furthermore, if a person is a witness to a Church trial, we require that they swear by an oath before God that their testimony will be true.

Some may foolishly claim, for instance, that they find no example in 17th Century Presbyterianism of vows taken by officers that they believe that the Scriptures are the infallible and inerrant Word of God. The point is, that in the current context, Presbyters need to ascertain what a man believes and have that backed up by a lawful vow.​

Anyone who lives in a modern context in which members are wont to spend their time, energy, and resources in support of everything beside the local Church understands why it is necessary that membership entails a commitment to the ministry and work of the local Church.
4. Do you promise to support the church in its worship and work to the best of your ability?

Rich I wonder what "support" Elders expect from members?

The notion, however, that no vows (in the form of assent) are required for a member to join a congregation is not consonant with any idea that one can define who is or is not a "member" of a congregation. That is to say, there is no way in which it can be determined for whom the Elders are held accountable or to whom a person must submit.
This can be determined without vows. No one needs to stand up in front of the congregation and vow the membership vows to do this, neither do they need to swear the membership vows privately in front of the session. However, in the voluntarist and disestablished context in which we live, it would be very difficult indeed to determine such things without a member agreeing to submit and being formally added to the rolls--something which is--to my knowledge--a bit more explicit than the implicit church membership ideal of the 17th century but does not require making vows. My church does not have membership vows, and yet the elders are able to determine who is or is not a member: the prospective members ask the session to join, and then they are added after the session does due dilligence with examining their profession (and also members are usually only added after the session makes clear to them what would be required of them if they joined).

You mention "in the form of assent," so perhaps you agree; just making sure all is clear.

Does membership require being under the authority of a Church Session? As an adherent in the RPCNA I am under the authority of my Session.
Yes. We are full members, under the Session's authority, with power to vote and all the rest of the privileges of church membership.

Last edited:
This can be determined without vows. No one needs to stand up in front of the congregation and vow the membership vows to do this, neither do they need to swear the membership vows privately in front of the session. However, in the voluntarist and disestablished context in which we live, it would be very difficult indeed to determine such things without a member agreeing to submit and being formally added to the rolls--something which is--to my knowledge--a bit more explicit than the implicit church membership ideal of the 17th century but does not require making vows. My church does not have membership vows, and yet the elders are able to determine who is or is not a member: the prospective members ask the session to join, and then they are added after the session does due dilligence with examining their profession (and also members are usually only added after the session makes clear to them what would be required of them if they joined).

You mention "in the form of assent," so perhaps you agree; just making sure all is clear.
The form of the question and the answer is "I do" or "We do." The Session interviews members and poses the membership questions. Their assent to the membership questions is made before the Elders. The Session formally joins them to the congregation during that act. Having them stand before the congregation is optional but provides a means for them to be presented to the congregation.

Whether the FCC has a formal list of questions that it poses, I can't imagine that no questions are posed to determine whether the members joining believe in the Gospel and understand the nature of Church membership itself or leave it to each member to determine what is believed and expected of Church membership.

Again, given what constitutes a Lawful Oath or Vow in our Standards, I fail to see how someone who confesses this can deny that joining a congregation is not an appropriate time for this. In the early Church, the Church had to determine whether someone was Trinitarian through what they confessed. We're not talking about rules as to how "tightly" the Session holds membership or permits persons to move for Providential reasons. We're talking about the means by which a Session admits members into the Church.

With their worship and work.

Well that was obvious :) .

How exactly does that look like? I am asking in all seriousness because in my estimation it sounds like the local church expects its members to do "work" within the walls according to that vow. I say this because earlier you implied such in "Anyone who lives in a modern context in which members are wont to spend their time, energy, and resources in support of everything beside the local Church understands why it is necessary that membership entails a commitment to the ministry and work of the local Church."

I say this with sincere gratefulness to those who put time into out local congregations, and one who worked hard all my life in my job and raising a family which precludes my lack of work in my local congregation.
[automerge]1707340227[/automerge]
Also here is a good thread against vows to be a member of a local congregation.

Last edited:
Well that was obvious :) .

How exactly does that look like? I am asking in all seriousness because in my estimation it sounds like the local church expects its members to do "work" within the walls according to that vow. I say this because earlier you implied such in "Anyone who lives in a modern context in which members are wont to spend their time, energy, and resources in support of everything beside the local Church understands why it is necessary that membership entails a commitment to the ministry and work of the local Church."

I say this with sincere gratefulness to those who put time into out local congregations, and one who worked hard all my life in my job and raising a family which precludes my lack of work in my local congregation.
[automerge]1707340227[/automerge]

Without trying too hard, I can come up with New Testament examples: works of mercy, hospitality, preaching, teaching, the work of the deacons, older women teaching younger women, washing each other's feet (in the figurative sense). From these examples it seems reasonable to extrapolate using your individual talents and place in life to serve the local body. The modern notion that people only show up once a week for a "worship experience" doesn't meet this expectation.

The questions arose due to the prevalence and popularity of parachurch ministries. The question is not posing whether one will forsake their ordinary vocation, but whether the person joining this particular congregation is committing to the regular worship of the Church as well as the duties that the Bod of Christ has to care for one another.
It is a good thread, but keep in mind that membership questions within PCA congregations are not admitting to the Lord's Table. They are the prudential result of differing circumstances. Notice that some of the quotes assume that those coming into the Church are coming from a ministry down the road. People couldn't travel far. Assuming nobody knew the person, it would be easy to ask the Church they were baptized within. As I noted earlier, a Presbyterian government at one time and place doesn't set the BCO in amber for all times. We can agree with Rutherford and Hodge that no condition for Church membership can tread on the conscience of an individual by binding them to something the Word of God does not teach. No condition should bar them from the Table of the Lord. That said, the vows meet the criteria for the purpose therein, given the Session's need to determine whether persons are in the Lord and understand what it is to be part of the Church.

the vows meet the criteria for the purpose therein
Wouldn't an oath be more appropriate then? It seems what the modern church membership vows require sounds more like the condition of an oath:
OATH​
VOW​
"A lawful oath is a part of religious worship, wherein, upon just occasion, the person swearing solemnly calleth God to witness what he asserteth or promiseth; and to judge him according to the truth or falsehood of what he sweareth." (WCF 21.1)"A vow is of the like nature with a promissory oath, and ought to be made with the like religious care, and to be performed with the like faithfulness." (WCF 21.5)
"...in matters of weight and moment, an oath is warranted by the Word of God, under the New Testament, as well as under the Old, so a lawful oath, being imposed by lawful authority, in such matters ought to be taken." (WCF 21.2)"A vow is of the like nature* with a promissory oath..." (WCF 21.6)

*[But has a different purpose, no?]
" Whosoever taketh an oath ought duly to consider the weightiness of so solemn an act, and therein to avouch nothing but what he is fully persuaded is the truth. Neither may any man bind himself by oath to anything but what is good and just, and what he believeth so to be, and what he is able and resolved to perform. Yet it is a sin to refuse an oath touching anything that is good and just, being imposed by lawful authority." (WCF 21.3)"It is not to be made to any creature, but to God alone*: and that it may be accepted, it is to be made voluntarily, out of faith and conscience of duty, in way of thankfulness for mercy received, or for the obtaining of what we want...." (WCF 21.7)

[*How does promising to submit to a particular church/congregation meet this requirement?]
"An oath is to be taken in the plain and common sense of the words, without equivocation or mental reservation. It cannot oblige to sin; but in anything not sinful, being taken, it binds to performance, although to a man’s own hurt...." (WCF 21.4)"...*Popish monastical vows of perpetual single life, professed poverty, and regular obedience..." (WCF 21.8)

*[How are these examples of voluntary vows comparable to modern church membership vows?]

Why do all of the P&R denominations that impose modern church membership vows call them vows and not an oath? I'm not trying to be belligerent on this topic, I am genuinely curious (I have asked this question of others but never been given an answer).

If I understand Mr. Fentiman (see #19 above), while I, too, do not think modern church membership vows are necessary for membership, I, too, am willing to take such vows voluntarily if I could do so "in the plain and common sense of the words, without equivocation or mental reservation," or, as he put it, with "material compliance and cooperation where formal agreement was not exactly the same." Ironically, I could take the PCA, OPC, or PRC vows. In fact, I gave one of my daughters my blessing (and encouraged her) to do so, and she is now a member in the PCA.

Why do all of the P&R denominations that impose modern church membership vows call them vows and not an oath? I'm not trying to be belligerent on this topic, I am genuinely curious (I have asked this question of others but never been given an answer).
Because an oath and a vow are not identical concepts.

An oath is made before God that you assent to something, while a vow entails that you will perform the duties associated with the promise made. We call them marriage vows (and not oaths) for a reason.

The Confession and Catechisms tease this out. For example:
V. A vow is of the like nature with a promissory oath, and ought to be made with the like religious care, and to be performed with the like faithfulness.

An oath is made before God that you assent to something, while a vow entails that you will perform the duties associated with the promise made. We call them marriage vows (and not oaths) for a reason.

The Confession and Catechisms tease this out. For example:
I should add that one might say that the PCA questions contain a mixture of oaths and vows. Some questions are answered with an oath that they believe something while others vow to duties the member is found to perform.

An oath is made before God that you assent to something, while a vow entails that you will perform the duties associated with the promise made.
I appreciate your comments but, at the risk of exasperating you, I'm just not sure I see what you see. I do agree that oaths and vows are distinct concepts. I understand the WCF to be teaching that an oath is an act of swearing that what you assert or promise is true, not an act of giving assent. I note that the words "perform/performed" and "performance" are used both to describe an oath (22.3 and 22.4, respectively) and a vow (22.5 and 22.7, respectively), which makes sense since they are "of the like nature" (22.5). But I understand the WCF to be teaching that a vow is a voluntary promise made "to God alone" for something personal: "in way of thankfulness for mercy received, or for the obtaining of what we want" (22.6), for example. This is echoed in the Westminster Directory of Publick Worship where, other than in the ministerial prayer before the sermon where we join in contemplating "our own purposes, promises, vows, solemn covenant, and other special obligations," vows are only mentioned in relation to a sick person and the "promises of holiness and obedience... men are apt to make in times of sickness" ("Concerning Visitation of the Sick"). In short, I see no justification in the Standards for vows being of a corporate, public nature or purpose (as there is for an oath).
We call them marriage vows (and not oaths) for a reason.
This, too, seems to be a fairly recent innovation. The WCF never uses the word "vow" in its chapter on marriage and divorce - it instead uses the words "contract" (24.5) and "bond" (24.6). Furthermore, the Westminster Directory of Publick Worship also does not use the word "vow" in its section titled "Of the Solemnization of Marriage." Rather it calls marriage "the covenant of their God" and does not refer to "vows." It states that "...the minister (if no impediment be acknowledged) shall cause first the man to take the woman by the right hand, saying these words: 'I N. do take thee N. to be my married wife, and do, in the presence of God, and before this congregation, promise and covenant to be a loving and faithful husband unto thee, until God shall separate us by death.'"
Anyone who lives in a modern context
We are not in 17th Century Scotland.
We are also not in the 19th century which is when the practice of membership "vows" entered American R&P denominations. We are no longer in a "modern context." We are in a post-modern context and I find myself constantly struggling against the postmodern world deconstructing language to make it relative and, therefore, meaningless. We need to be on guard against this sinister ideology making inroads in the Church. Forgive me if you feel I am belaboring the point, but words matter, as do definitions - there is no point in having creeds, confessions, and catechisms (or vows for that matter) if the words that make them up are constantly subject to relativistic interpretations. The concept of semper reformanda does not mean constantly coming up with new innovations in reaction to the issues around us - it means constantly returning to what is good, and right, and true, no matter how long ago that truth was expressed.

We are also not in the 19th century which is when the practice of membership "vows" entered American R&P denominations. We are no longer in a "modern context." We are in a post-modern context and I find myself constantly struggling against the postmodern world deconstructing language to make it relative and, therefore, meaningless. We need to be on guard against this sinister ideology making inroads in the Church. Forgive me if you feel I am belaboring the point, but words matter, as do definitions - there is no point in having creeds, confessions, and catechisms (or vows for that matter) if the words that make them up are constantly subject to relativistic interpretations. The concept of semper reformanda does not mean constantly coming up with new innovations in reaction to the issues around us - it means constantly returning to what is good, and right, and true, no matter how long ago that truth was expressed.
Quoting me as pointing out that we are into in 17th Century Scotland and then replying with this portion puts words in my mouth that I did not utter. I answered your question about why I think we use the word vow rather than oath. I was never arguing for a post-modern equivocation on language as you imply. If you want to exasperate me and infract you for a 9th Commandment violation this is the way to go about it - implying that my point about the fact that we live in different times and places is an invitation to simply play with words was never my point.

First, my point about time and place had to do with the circumstances in which the Church finds itself and how it governs according to the Word and according to its Confession. The changing circumstances led faithful Presbyters to conclude that they needed to respond to these challenges by changing their BCO and adopting different provisions. As one example, if I could go back in a time machine, I might encourage the Westminster Assembly to write down that thinking you're a homosexual is an example of how the flesh operates. They'd look at me puzzledly, however, even assuming I could pull off their accent and live long enough in 17th-century England to speak to them.

When it came to the Side Be controversy in the PCA, however, we didn't need to modify the Westminister Standards. Unfortunately, some Elders who did not understand the theology os our Standards concluded that sexual orientation itself is fixed and some even thought that concupiscence itself wasn't sin. As the authors of our Study Committee pointed out, however, they didn't need to reach outside our Standards but found all the theological grounds already there to show how modern conceptions of sexual identity are making the lust for the flesh a predominant characteristic of the individual, and it rejects the modern notion of sexual orientation. Some Elders almost seemed surprised that our Standards could deal with this, but I never was.

So what did we do? We modified our BCO to put further barriers in place to keep Presbyteries from ordaining men to any office who describe themselves in a way that is unchaste or not in accord with how they are created.

Now, if someone wants to say: "That's ridiculous, the Scottish Presbyterians never needed that. Why do you need that in your Book of Church Order?!"

We need it because we do not live in 17th-century Scotland, and we are applying the "normed norm" to our time and place. We are not compromising the Standards but applying them to help us continue to conform the Church to our Confessional standards.

Switching to the discussion of "oaths" and "vows", I'm fine with someone pointing out that the Standards think of oaths in one way and vows in another. If I misconstrued the meaning, then that's fine. They are both contained in the same Chapter, and it's not like you can get away with one Standard for an oath that you can't get away with for a vow.

If someone wants to quibble and say: "These are all Church Member oaths and not vows," then I'll let them consider it an oath. Either way, we're going to ask them and require to answer questions that we believe are Biblically legitimate questions to ask members.

Quoting me as pointing out that we are into in 17th Century Scotland and then replying with this portion puts words in my mouth that I did not utter. I answered your question about why I think we use the word vow rather than oath. I was never arguing for a post-modern equivocation on language as you imply. If you want to exasperate me and infract you for a 9th Commandment violation this is the way to go about it - implying that my point about the fact that we live in different times and places is an invitation to simply play with words was never my point.
I in no way intended to communicate any of the implications you have suggested I made about you. I apologize for not being more clear about this. My point was that you earlier suggested that modern times necessitated introducing the practice of membership vows in the 19th century and I was pointing out that we past that age and perhaps it is time to contemplate a change (back) away from such a practice.
Now, if someone wants to say: "That's ridiculous, the Scottish Presbyterians never needed that. Why do you need that in your Book of Church Order?!"
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up the Scottish Presbyterian straw man - I have not mentioned anything about Scottish Presbyterians in this thread. My own view is that the practice of maintaining a judicial testimony is better than constantly modifying BCOs - rather than trying to constantly update the letter of the law to which we refer, why not let the rulings of our courts in cases brought before and decided by the Church be our reference?

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up the Scottish Presbyterian straw man - I have not mentioned anything about Scottish Presbyterians in this thread. My own view is that the practice of maintaining a judicial testimony is better than constantly modifying BCOs - rather than trying to constantly update the letter of the law to which we refer, why not let the rulings of our courts in cases brought before and decided by the Church be our reference?
I'm bringing this up because the OP focused on what Rutherford and the Scottish Presbyterians thought was appropriate with respect to receiving and transferring members and "demonstrating" that current practices are implicitly against some Presbyterian principles.

While I'm happy to hear your opinion about how a Church ought to govern itself, your solitary opinion about how a Church ought to do things is not Presbyterian. That is to say that we don't suddenly stop what we're doing and say: "Well, this individual has a preference about how we order the Church, and we need to jettison our BCO in favor of this opinion.".

The Church I am an Officer within has a BCO. If you would like a Church to change the way it receives members, then you can complain in theory about it, but the reasons why vows were introduced (and kept) owes to the fact that Presbyters believe they serve the Church well with respect to how members are joined to a local congregation. As an example, a few years ago, some suggested adding portions of the Apostle's Creed to our membership questions, and the Church decided, as a Presbyterian body, that our current questions are serving the Church well.

Even if you were ordained as an Elder in the PCA, you would still have to go through the process of convincing other Elders and 2/3 of all Presbyteries that we need to fundamentally change something that has not been shown to be in need of change. The strong opinion of a few men is not how Presbyterian government works.

The modern notion that people only show up once a week for a "worship experience" doesn't meet this expectation.

Hmmm I am not sure this is a modern notion. I can imagine people living in the early church only showing up once a week while striving the other 6 days to do what the book of Titus says we ought to do.

Hmmm I am not sure this is a modern notion. I can imagine people living in the early church only showing up once a week while striving the other 6 days to do what the book of Titus says we ought to do.
Right, but they also weren't confused about some parachurch activities where they might not show up (worship) to the Church or spend all their time outside of work where they might help a Church member but are otherwise engaged in parachurch activities.

First, my point about time and place had to do with the circumstances in which the Church finds itself and how it governs according to the Word and according to its Confession. The changing circumstances led faithful Presbyters to conclude that they needed to respond to these challenges by changing their BCO and adopting different provisions. As one example, if I could go back in a time machine, I might encourage the Westminster Assembly to write down that thinking you're a homosexual is an example of how the flesh operates. They'd look at me puzzledly, however, even assuming I could pull off their accent and live long enough in 17th-century England to speak to them.

When it came to the Side Be controversy in the PCA, however, we didn't need to modify the Westminister Standards. Unfortunately, some Elders who did not understand the theology os our Standards concluded that sexual orientation itself is fixed and some even thought that concupiscence itself wasn't sin. As the authors of our Study Committee pointed out, however, they didn't need to reach outside our Standards but found all the theological grounds already there to show how modern conceptions of sexual identity are making the lust for the flesh a predominant characteristic of the individual, and it rejects the modern notion of sexual orientation. Some Elders almost seemed surprised that our Standards could deal with this, but I never was.

So what did we do? We modified our BCO to put further barriers in place to keep Presbyteries from ordaining men to any office who describe themselves in a way that is unchaste or not in accord with how they are created.

We need it because we do not live in 17th-century Scotland, and we are applying the "normed norm" to our time and place. We are not compromising the Standards but applying them to help us continue to conform the Church to our Confessional standards.

Switching to the discussion of "oaths" and "vows", I'm fine with someone pointing out that the Standards think of oaths in one way and vows in another. If I misconstrued the meaning, then that's fine. They are both contained in the same Chapter, and it's not like you can get away with one Standard for an oath that you can't get away with for a vow.

If someone wants to quibble and say: "These are all Church Member oaths and not vows," then I'll let them consider it an oath. Either way, we're going to ask them and require to answer questions that we believe are Biblically legitimate questions to ask members.
Do you view membership and access to the table as synonymous? I.e. one must take your vows/oaths to commune?

Do you view membership and access to the table as synonymous? I.e. one must take your vows/oaths to commune?
No. The PCA does not practice closed communion.

We fence the Table, but it is up to the person to heed the warning.

We do let people know, during the fencing, that the Table is for persons who are members in good standing in an Evangelical Church.

We haven't fun into an issue where someone was attending regularly who regularly partakes and is not a member of some Church.

No. The PCA does not practice closed communion.

We fence the Table, but it is up to the person to heed the warning.

We do let people know, during the fencing, that the Table is for persons who are members in good standing in an Evangelical Church.

We haven't fun into an issue where someone was attending regularly who regularly partakes and is not a member of some Church.
What would you do with adherents?

Back