Who was the smartest man that didn't also have a joined divine nature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raydixon9

Puritan Board Freshman
Folks often claim Solomon was the wisest man. What about Adam as his mind was initially not affected by sin? What about Paul who says (with the authority of God) that he is not lacking in knowledge to anyone and his knowledge was bestowed by Christ himself?

I think I would agree with Adam. Untouched by sin I would imagine he was extremely intelligent and wise. He probably engineered the pyramids.

I like your style of thinking Rick, but I don't think the pyramids would've survived the flood. He may, however, passed down that knowledge.

I have often wondered just how wise Solomon was. I don't know how wise it is to have had 300 wives and 700 concubines. When the kingdom split after his death, the roots of the split must have occurred during Solomon's reign.

As was said above, the wisest man is he who fears God.

A person may be very wise in working out problems but not necessarily wise in the way they behave. When one reads 1 Kings 11 the actions of Solomon are not wise. Indeed they are idolatrous and most displeasing to God. The outcome of this resulted in the division of the kingdom. Solomon may have been wise in his younger days but his actions during his latter days would suggest otherwise.

Solomon felt he lacked wisdom so he asked for it and God gave him it. During his reign the kingdom of Israel reached its peak in splendid fashion. The decline was swift and this is attributed to Solomon's having his heart turned from
God to idols by his foreign wives. The wisdom God gave Solomon may have been temporary or even withdrawn.

Just to clarify, Christ was not "smart" in His human nature because it was "joined" to a divine nature. His human nature did not participate in divinity. I'm not trying to be obnoxious but only to caution against an incorrect understanding of the nature of Christ.

Just to clarify, Christ was not "smart" in His human nature because it was "joined" to a divine nature. His human nature did not participate in divinity. I'm not trying to be obnoxious but only to caution against an incorrect understanding of the nature of Christ.

Though wonders if Jesus was smarter because He was without a sinful nature. I can only imagine how far I would have excelled in my job if I was not hindered by my sinful inclinations which are ever so present. :)

Though wonders if Jesus was smarter because He was without a sinful nature. I can only imagine how far I would have excelled in my job if I was not hindered by my sinful inclinations which are ever so present. :)

Absolutely,

It just so happens, by the way, that Derek Thomas has been teaching on the nature of Christ in his Centerpoint series. The most recent lecture on the Holy Spirit in the life of Christ is very helpful in gaining some apprehension on the Work of the Holy Spirit in the life of Christ to clear up some misconceptions that are common concerning how Christ knew certain things during His earthly ministry:
Audio: The Holy Spirit in the Life of Christ - SermonAudio.com
Handout: http://fptheologyschool.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/3-7-the-holy-spirit-in-the-life-of-Christ.pdf

For the record, I think the reason people say Solomon was the wisest man who ever lived is this verse:

1 Kings 3:12 said:
...behold, I now do according to your word. Behold, I give you a wise and discerning mind, so that none like you has been before you and none like you shall arise after you.

It seems to say the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back