Who ought to teach?

Sam Jer

Puritan Board Sophomore
May God grant us a blessed Lord's day, brethren.
May any Christian (man?) teach under certain circumstances? I know a common opinion in Reformed circles is only people called to offices of teaching ought to teach. Is it so? How can we prove that it is or isn't based on God's word?
If it is, where does this leave the gray area, such as cathecizing children, private conversations, puritanboard, posting exerpts from people who are ordained, translating theological works, ext?
And would the "rules" differ based on the situation of the church in a certain time and place?

(and yes, I know the directory of family worship addresses the question — if you want to quote it, provide some commentary or defense on what it has to say)

Happy Lord's Day to you, too, brother!
I know the directory of family worship addresses the question — if you want to quote it, provide some commentary or defense on what it has to say
Are you referring to the Westminster Directory for Private (Family) Worship? If so, I don't think there is anything in there directly addressing who ought to "teach" (the definition of this word might be an issue). Rather, it states almost from the start that "the charge and office of interpreting the holy scriptures is a part of the ministerial calling, which none (however otherwise qualified) should take upon him in any place, but he that is duly called thereunto by God and his kirk" (III, emphasis added). What it allows is that "in every family where there is any that can read, the holy scriptures should be read ordinarily to the family; and it is commendable, that thereafter they confer, and by way of conference make some good use of what hath been read and heard." (Ibid.) added). I take "conference" to = "discuss."

Reading and discussing Scripture is different than reading and speaking authoritatively as to the meaning- if the reading and discussion leads to questions of interpretation, that should be referred to the minister. If the reading and discussion leads to questions of application, that is within the bounds of the head of household: "As, for example, if any sin be reproved in the word read, use may be made thereof to make all the family circumspect and watchful against the same; or if any judgment be threatened, or mentioned to have been inflicted, in that portion of scripture which is read, use may be made to make all the family fear lest the same or a worse judgment befall them, unless they beware of the sin that procured it: and, finally, if any duty be required, or comfort held forth in a promise, use may be made to stir up themselves to employ Christ for strength to enable them for doing the commanded duty, and to apply the offered comfort. In all which the master of the family is to have the chief hand; and any member of the family may propone a question or doubt for resolution." (Ibid.)

I personally consider catechizing or reading from commentaries/devotionals written by ordained ministers the same as seeking answers from the minister, with the caveat that this might include first asking the minister about the author of the latter if outside one's particular church.

As for private conversations, including PB, I don't think anyone considers that "teaching." I would say that, despite the overall dissimilarity, there is a similarity to family worship in that, if a discussion raises "a question or doubt for resolution," one should go to their minister and seek instruction.
And would the "rules" differ based on the situation of the church in a certain time and place?
I'm not sure what you mean by "situation": are you referring to eras (like early Church vs Reformation vs now) or various gatherings during the week (Sabbath School vs a mid-week Bible study)?

Happy Lord's Day to you, too, brother!

Are you referring to the Westminster Directory for Private (Family) Worship? If so, I don't think there is anything in there directly addressing who ought to "teach" (the definition of this word might be an issue). Rather, it states almost from the start that "the charge and office of interpreting the holy scriptures is a part of the ministerial calling, which none (however otherwise qualified) should take upon him in any place, but he that is duly called thereunto by God and his kirk" (III, emphasis added). What it allows is that "in every family where there is any that can read, the holy scriptures should be read ordinarily to the family; and it is commendable, that thereafter they confer, and by way of conference make some good use of what hath been read and heard." (Ibid.) added). I take "conference" to = "discuss."

Reading and discussing Scripture is different than reading and speaking authoritatively as to the meaning- if the reading and discussion leads to questions of interpretation, that should be referred to the minister. If the reading and discussion leads to questions of application, that is within the bounds of the head of household: "As, for example, if any sin be reproved in the word read, use may be made thereof to make all the family circumspect and watchful against the same; or if any judgment be threatened, or mentioned to have been inflicted, in that portion of scripture which is read, use may be made to make all the family fear lest the same or a worse judgment befall them, unless they beware of the sin that procured it: and, finally, if any duty be required, or comfort held forth in a promise, use may be made to stir up themselves to employ Christ for strength to enable them for doing the commanded duty, and to apply the offered comfort. In all which the master of the family is to have the chief hand; and any member of the family may propone a question or doubt for resolution." (Ibid.)

I personally consider catechizing or reading from commentaries/devotionals written by ordained ministers the same as seeking answers from the minister, with the caveat that this might include first asking the minister about the author of the latter if outside one's particular church.

As for private conversations, including PB, I don't think anyone considers that "teaching." I would say that, despite the overall dissimilarity, there is a similarity to family worship in that, if a discussion raises "a question or doubt for resolution," one should go to their minister and seek instruction.
The main thrust of my question is where do the scriptures either limit or make general the office of interpeting?
I'm not sure what you mean by "situation": are you referring to eras (like early Church vs Reformation vs now) or various gatherings during the week (Sabbath School vs a mid-week Bible study)?
The time, place, situation of the church in tjat place.

The main thrust of my question is where do the scriptures either limit or make general the office of interpeting?
Bumping this, mostly because silly ne forgot to consult the Reformed Confessions and the scripture proofs they cite.

WLC 158: By whom is the Word of God to be preached?
Answer: The Word of God is to be preached only by such as are sufficiently gifted1, and also duly approved and called to that office.2

1 Tim 3:2, 6; Eph 4:8–11; Hos 4:6; Mal 2:7; 2 Cor 3:6;
Jer 14:15; Rom 10:15; Heb 5:4; 1 Cor 12:28–29; 1 Tim 3:10; 4:14; 5:22

Back