What did the Sabbath worship look like in the Old Testament?

GospelHeart

Puritan Board Freshman
Do we get much of an indication in the Bible what the practice of Sabbath looked like in the Old Testament?

What did worship look like — Would everyone / some worship at temple? Or in families?

We are not given that much specific information in the Bible--which has both a liberating angle as well as a constraining angle--as to how a "typical" Sabbath might have looked among the Twelve Tribes settlement. We can infer a bit more when taking the Israelite condition in the wilderness into consideration; then taking that little amount as the basis, asking how would that translate into a very different life-condition in the Promised Land. Finally, there is a whole-revelation context brought to bear on what might or should be the case, irrespective of what is or isn't present in the text by way of examples.

Sabbath enforcement and expectation, the origin of which is established in the beginning of the world (Gen.2:1), begins to be made explicit to the covenant-nation even before they arrive at Sinai and receive the Law. When the manna was first sent, Moses gave clear teaching about when to gather the foodstuff and how much of it. An ordinary daily-bread amount would not "last" overnight, and failure to regather on day2 meant hunger. But on the 6th day, the people were to gather 2X as much, and those who went forth on the 7th day to gather found themselves without. From this they (and we) see that ordinary tasks that can be done ahead of time or deferred till later ought to be, as anything worth doing well demands preparation and time set aside for it.

16hrs of waking life is (in fact!) fairly close to a "tithe" of our time. I don't believe God taxes exactly a 10th of our lives and substance; but he has in fact called the Sabbath day (not the hour) his, and invited us into his rest, presence, celebration, etc. on the occasion. Lev.23:3 identifies the weekly Sabbath as a day of holy convocation, a kind of assembly unto the set-apart purpose, even the foundation of all the feasts (Lev.23:2) of Israel. On this day, the people surrounding the Tabernacle by their encampment were to draw near and hear the word of the Lord from Moses. They were not to do their customary labors. We are told of one man who (probably rather than joining with the thousands of worshipers) went off to gather sticks on the Sabbath, Num.15:32. The harshness of his punishment is retold in the passage, but without further commentary, leaving us to perhaps just compare that severity with the NT severity leveled against Ananias and Sapphira.

How did the duty of Sabbath-observance translate into the people's lives in the Land? Dispersed throughout the territory, it was impossible for the whole people to draw near the central shrine each week. Nevertheless, the expectation of a holy convocation was written into the Law, and the priests and Levites were expected to take up the regular responsibility (dispersed as they were among the rest of the nation) of teaching the law (Lev.10:8-11; Dt.33:8-11; cf. 2Chr.15:3; Mic.3:11; 2Ki.17:27; Ezk.44:23). That is, they were to follow the example of Moses in the wilderness and teach the nation. This, and not the dire circumstances of the Babylonian Exile, is the true origin of the synagogue. The lament of the Psalmist, Ps.74:8, must surely have reference to these dispersed meetinghouses, and not to "high places" or other disreputable gathering spots.

What should be done in dispersed holy convocations? Well, how about anything prescribed for the one Israelite altar that could be done in those other places, that was not forbidden to be done elsewhere than the altar precincts? Hearing and preaching of the word, singing of praise (N.B. Ps.92:1 & title), prayer--all of it oriented toward the one central place where the Presence of the Lord was specially represented. You know, we do the same things today, and everywhere (all over the earth) we are oriented toward the true Temple in heaven where Christ personally ministers on our behalf. We also celebrate our baptisms and memorial Feasts there in our holy assemblies, the only fit place for them as there is no earthly central-shrine to which we must repair for those. Sabbaths were, and are, our invitation to meet with God who summons us and opens himself up toward us.

We know that there were times of decline in Israel (and Judah), when Sabbathing was neglected rather than properly remembered (e.g. Jer.17:21-27). Even when it was kept, it was often done resentfully, ala Amos 8:5. In fact, the Land was to experience an equivalent "sabbath-rest" during the Exile, according to that neglect. Neh.13:15-22 bemoans the fact that even the return from Exile did not see a marked improvement of the people's practice. Consider how Is.58:13f expresses the hope of the coming Messianic age, when his reign will be marked by his blessing on them who observe his Sabbath. I'm sure true Israelites who read those words prior to Christ's day sought to make that attitude a present reality for themselves in spirit.

We cannot come up with a handy Sabbath-outline for Israel in their age spelled out in the OT; most likely because God doesn't want his church today going to that chapter and verse to fix us all today in a single uncomfortable straightjacket. And yet, what is revealed in Scripture and comports with the regulative nature of divine worship, puts a degree of constraint on us. We are obligated to the prescriptions and limits Scripture does present, and may expect God to wisely enforce his commandments.

Rev. Buchanan, I just wanted to say how greatly I appreciate your thorough, detailed, and Christ-exalting responses to questions all throughout this forum. I have been greatly edified many times by your depth of knowledge.

This, and not the dire circumstances of the Babylonian Exile, is the true origin of the synagogue. The lament of the Psalmist, Ps.74:8, must surely have reference to these dispersed meetinghouses, and not to "high places" or other disreputable gathering spots.
This piqued my interest. I've always been taught the "traditional" (cliched) view that synagogues were founded in the exile, that Ezra was a key figure here, etc. etc. Can you provide some more info or a recommended source here?

This piqued my interest. I've always been taught the "traditional" (cliched) view that synagogues were founded in the exile, that Ezra was a key figure here, etc. etc. Can you provide some more info or a recommended source here?
I really don't know what to say, aside from dealing with the biblical evidence and giving it priority over historical and extra-biblical claims and evidences. There were holy assemblies appointed for the Sabbath in the Law. And unless one accepts the JEDP or other "developmental hypothesis," along with rejection of essential Mosaic authoriship of the Pentateuch, we must assume these were original and have inception in the wilderness experience of the children of Israel (a traditional view also accepting the history of Israel as an accurate record).

The (controlled) speculation that follows then asks: how did the wilderness experience translate into settled experience in the Promised Land after the conquest and distribution of inheritance? What do the commands and expectations (and scant evidences gleaned from history and text) inform us as to the manner Sabbaths might have been kept? Should we assume a "ghost town" aspect to every house, village, and city where Sabbath was honored? Did people get up on their roofs and suntan? Did they have conversations with neighbors?

I realize the rabbinic rules that came out of the exile--some of which traditions have hints recalled in NT passages) set forth all kinds of regulation, like how far was a "Sabbath-day's walk" (Act.1:12), or whether carrying one's mat on the Sabbath was "work" (Jn.5:10)--these were claimed to have their same origin in Moses and an oral tradition back to the start. But we cannot respect these, as Jesus did not and called into question their authority (e.g. Mt.15:1-9). The same rules taught a pattern for synagogue worship, to which both the Bible and extrabiblical texts (and archaeology) lend further support in terms of liturgy and traditions that were live in the days of the NT.

There was always some kind of distributed worship in Israel, the only question concerns the nature of it. We know (and is beyond any dispute even from unbelieving scholarship) that there was unlawful distributed worship, for the OT biblical text bears constant refrain of the need to dismantle it. But there must also have been legitimate distributed worship, so then we ask what it might and should have looked like. The archaeology alone will not explain itself. Always, there are the starting assumptions of the students and scholars involved and writing about the findings.

Consider an article like this one (less than a year old): https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org...eligious-reform-in-the-bible-and-archaeology/ It is hard to sift the raw facts from the interpretive grid that tries to render the relics into something approaching a story, especially when some elements presented as fact are (in truth) "settled conclusions" of those who agree with the last lines of the article that frankly deny explicit claims of the inspired text. But what else would one expect from scholars who are not firstly committed to supernaturalism and a preserved plus accurate text of Scripture, and who believe religion is just another social phenomenon constantly evolving?

Despite the difficulty and the need to make estimates of the raw material of excavation, one thing is beyond dispute: there were distributed worship locations in Judah in Hezekiah's day, after his instituted reforms, even before Josiah's day and his reforms (and the alleged creation of Deuteronomy). Again, what was the nature of these gathering places? Were they simply original or repurposed "high places" bound to the Canaanite religious milieu? Were "incense altars" in such places meant for convenience of use, or as placeholders and signs?

In other words, could these locations have been lawful places of worship, where locals were oriented toward the one altar and proper worship location in Jerusalem? If one believes the synagogue's true origin was in Babylon, among the desperate exiles trying to maintain some kind of religious identity and unity, then all such "meetinghouses" in the land can be safely relegated to an evolutionary myth-laden prehistory, before the kings in Jerusalem imposed their totalitarian dictat on the ordinary folk-religious people of the far hills and valleys, towns and regions.

The religious expression come back from the Exile shouldn't (in my opinion) be divorced from that which came before, not simply in connection to the Temple (and an assumed late-date for imposing centralized worship practice) but also tied to the priestly duties we regard as founded at Sinai in the 14th century B.C. We have to separate the wheat from the chaff. We have to decide what our primary interpretive lens for the data (written and residue) is bound to be. We need not be slaves of any tradition, old or new, but dedicated to a faithful interpretation of Scripture--one that is neither hidebound and blinkered nor rationalist-empiricist philosophically.

I may be wrong in my own assumptions, and am willing to take a dose of correction. I may be guilty of misprioritization. There may be biblical certainties I am not granting due to ignorance, blindness, and prejudice. Someone feel free to bring further data and alternative interpretations into the discussion. This is about all I can offer.

Back