Systematic Theology Book

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 14306
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 14306

So apparently I was wrong and R.C. Sproul Sr. never wrote a systematic theology book. Can someone please recommend a systematic theology that is reformed?

R.C. Sproul wrote a commentary on the Westminster Confession which is titled Truths We Confess. That could be considered a systematic theology.
He also wrote “Essential Truths of the Christian Faith” which could be considered a systematic theology at a very basic level.

So apparently I was wrong and R.C. Sproul Sr. never wrote a systematic theology book. Can someone please recommend a systematic theology that is reformed?
Hello, since there are such a range of offerings, it might be helpful if you can give an idea of what level you are looking for.

For example I’m sure the work of Beeke and Smalley is brilliant but 4 large volumes may not be the best for everyone.

To add, there are a lot of old threads on this site where ST’s have been discussed. So you would benefit from taking a look.

Last edited:
Robert Letham and John Frame both have systematics that have been my favorite contemporary works.

Best for someone newly reformed to familiarize yourself thoroughly with the Westminster Standards first and foremost.

To echo @Andres , you'd do well studying through the Westminster Stanards as a newly Reformed Christian. It will give you a framework that many other solid Reformed theologians take for granted. It is accessible, chariable, and comprehensive. There are many study guides, such as GI Williamson's that you can use to great effect. From there you can use some of the other heavy hitters that others have listed.

You can also study the Three Forms of Unity. The Heidelberg Catechism is especially great and warm.

To echo @Andres , you'd do well studying through the Westminster Stanards as a newly Reformed Christian. It will give you a framework that many other solid Reformed theologians take for granted. It is accessible, chariable, and comprehensive. There are many study guides, such as GI Williamson's that you can use to great effect. From there you can use some of the other heavy hitters that others have listed.

You can also study the Three Forms of Unity. The Heidelberg Catechism is especially great and warm.
In addition to G.I. Williamson's study guide on the Westminster Confession, I would highly recommend J.G. Vos's commentary on the Westminster Larger Catechism. I have found it to be a valuable resource.

Best for someone newly reformed to familiarize yourself thoroughly with the Westminster Standards first and foremost.
I am all about that. The Standards are systematic and perfect for those new to Reformed theology.

The Wonderful Works of God by Herman Bavinck is an excellent place to start diving into systematics. Your signature indicates that you subscribe to the Three Forms of Unity (though perhaps this has changed?). I would suggest Saving the Reformation by Robert Godfrey for an overview of the Canons of Dort and An Exposition of the Belgic Confession by Daniel Hyde. Zacharias Ursinus' Commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism is a classic work. I would also commend reading Catechism sermons, such as The Christian's Only Comfort in Life and Death by Theodorus Vander Groe, and also A Sketch of the Christian's Catechism by Ames.

In addition to G.I. Williamson's study guide on the Westminster Confession, I would highly recommend J.G. Vos's commentary on the Westminster Larger Catechism. I have found it to be a valuable resource.
I agree that it is wise to really come to grips with the Reformed Confessions before moving on to a weighty Systematics or Dogmatics.
I found it very helpful to read the Westminster Standards, the Scots Confession, the Second Helvetic Confession, and the Three Forms of Unity together to see how each one handled the same issue. An easy and helpful way to read through them together is to read the Reformed Confessions Harmonized By: Joel R. Beeke, Sinclair B. Ferguson published by BAKER BOOKS / 1999 / PAPERBACK.
Another approach is to take a relatively basic Systematics and read it with another that will take a slightly different position on some issues. For instance you could read Concise Theology by J. I. Packer with Systematic Theology by Charles Hodge.

Westminster Confession and Berkhof. Both of those were accessible to me in junior high, but deep enough that I can revisit them two decades later and not exhausted them.

R.C. Sproul did write an introduction to Systematic Theology that is pretty good.

Echoing @Andres , Westminster Standards. Taking it further, memorize the Shorter Catechism. It's as compact and as full a basic theological structure as you'll find anywhere. The labor to memorize it will pay a thousand times over.

Our former PCA pastor who taught part time at Westminster highly recommended Robert Culver's ST. It is my personal favorite. He is Lutheran. The historical development of doctrine is well presented; the Christology is lovely.

I'm another vote for Berkhof's Manual of Christian Doctrine if you're just getting started. Read that first, and then move on to longer works if you want to explore more. If you are someone who loves to read and study and are very academic-minded, you might be fine to skip Berkhof and start with something longer. But most people do better starting with something short, and Berkhof is the place for that.

Berkhof is great. As an FYI Monergism has both his Systematic and Summary of Christian doctrine available for free.

Back