Scripture memorization, cathecesis and secret worship advice

Sam Jer

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello brethren, greetings in the Lord.

What would be your'e advice for the use of cathecisms in private (/family) worship and cethecesis? Should a cathecism be memorized? If not, how do you use it and learn from it?
How does one balance cathecism reading and memorization on the one hand, with scripture apart from the scripture proofs on the other?
Did the shorter cathecism / Heidelberg come with an introduction or manual with recommendations on these matters?

Speaking generally of menorization: How does one balance cathecism, scripture generally, and the psalter?

Is cathecesis a part of worship? If it is, where do the scriptures command it, and what precisely is commanded?

What is the chief end of man?

"Catechism" comes from the root meaning "to teach". Catechisms are given in their Q&A format for the purpose of memorizing and learning. My understanding is that the WSC was originally designed for the instruction of children, so we really have no excuse not to memorize it. Personally, I don't try to memorize every single scripture proof because there are too many and it would bog one down, however, they are important to be familiar with so one can understand how the catechism are based on Scripture. Be sure you understand what you are memorizing. I find catechisms most beneficial for ensuring fidelity to the word of God. For example, if you know the answer to WSC 33, "Justification is an act of God’s free grace, wherein He pardoneth all our sins, and accepteth us as righteous in His sight, only for the righteousness of Christ imputed to us, and received by faith alone." then you can ensure an orthodox definition of justification. I have seen many a man give catechism answers to questions when they are being examined on the floor of Presbytery.

I do think you are correct to desire a balance between memorizing scripture along with catechisms and adding in Psalter memorization is excellent as well. I would say to incorporate all as you are able. You could easily memorize one catechism question a week and one verse of scripture. You could make a goal of memorizing a Psalm a month.

Lastly, no catechism is not a part of worship. It is not commanded by Scripture but it is wise and beneficial to be familiar with the truths the bible teaches and catechisms are an excellent way to do this in an orthodox manner.

Lastly, no catechism is not a part of worship. It is not commanded by Scripture but it is wise and beneficial to be familiar with the truths the bible teaches and catechisms are an excellent way to do this in an orthodox manner.
I agree it shouldn't be, but in many churches (including the one I am a member of in the OPC) catechism is part of the worship service.

I agree it shouldn't be, but in many churches (including the one I am a member of in the OPC) catechism is part of the worship service.
Humbly bring it to your session's attention. Don't mean to derail the thread, but inquire of them where God commands catechisms in worship.

Humbly bring it to your session's attention. Don't mean to derail the thread, but inquire of them where God commands catechisms in worship.
Sadly, I find that tradition and the way things have always been done, trump the Bible in the majority of cases.

Sadly, I find that tradition and the way things have always been done, trump the Bible in the majority of cases.
My church recites a catechism question together and the elder reads an excerpt from the confession immediately after the first song and morning prayer. This always made me uncomfortable. I’m not sure when this practice was started and why.

As to memorizing the catechism--should you memorize the proof texts as well? You will probably already know many of them, but that is certainly an option. But if you go that route, it will take MUCH longer to memorize the catechism, so there is a costs-benefits analysis.

The best thing to do is take 10-15 questions from the shorter catechism, usually organized around a sequence in a theme, and memorize them. Questions 29-39, give or take, will take you through the doctrine of salvation and how the pieces fit together.

I presume those who deem recitation from a catechism undesirable in corporate worship, would see a benediction in the same way?

If you memorize the catechism without the proofs, you will at least have the Catechism in memory as you read the Scriptures. The doctrines of the catechism will provide mental hooks to help you better process and remember what you read in the Bible; so in some fashion, you'll begin to internalize more Scripture, with more comprehension.

And some of the proofs the Catechism gives will not necessarily register with you. You, for example, might not think that X verse is the best to go with Y doctrine.

What would yall's advice be on keeping myself accountable in all this?

The best thing to do is take 10-15 questions from the shorter catechism, usually organized around a sequence in a theme, and memorize them
So not just going from beginning to end, but rather choosing bits to focus on is your'e recommendation?

What would yall's advice be on keeping myself accountable in all this?

So not just going from beginning to end, but rather choosing bits to focus on is your'e recommendation?

That depends. When I say choose a section, I mean a sequential section. The questions follow upon the logic of the previous questions and answers. That is the real genius in the catechism. But yes, you can start where you want, but be aware of the internal logic. I wouldn't do something like memorizing question 4 then question 38 then question 70.

I use the Reformed Companion App to assist with teaching the catechism to my 3 youngest. 12, 14, 15 year old.

I recommend learnscripture.net for memorising the Shorter Catechism (and scripture memorisation). My children use it successfully and I have used it to consolidate my Catechism memorisation.

I am a bit of an enigma in this area - I am not at all good at precise memorization, despite having tried a few times to buckle down and "just do it," and so my complete repertoire is probably a couple dozen bible verses (and Q1 of the WSC...) On the other hand, I have very good retention of the basic information and ideas expressed in whatever I read, and can readily recall the reference source for it (I've been called a robot in this respect...) All that to say, I am very grateful for the myriad biblical and theological resources that are so easily accessed on a phone, tablet or computer. I can quickly call up what I'm thinking about or looking for based on general memory, and that helps make up for my problem in actually memorizing. If that makes sense... I'm just wired weird I guess...

Speaking specifically to the memorization aspect, I used an app called “Verses - Bible Memory” to memorize the WSC and certain passages prior to my licensure exams. I found it to be really helpful for memorizing, tracking my progress, and holding myself accountable. I still make use of it regularly for review and further memorization.

Back