Primary sources in seminary classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
For those who went to seminary what primary sources or selection of primary sources did you use? Which ones were you required to be acquainted with to really get a good grasp of the ebb and flow of historical theology?

For patristics the Schaff series is classic. Also see Ancient Christian Writers.

Medievals: it just depends on the medieval in question. Lombard, Anselm, Thomas are fairly easy to find.

For those who went to seminary what primary sources or selection of primary sources did you use? Which ones were you required to be acquainted with to really get a good grasp of the ebb and flow of historical theology?
The Bible is an important one.

In all seriousness, as someone who is just starting year two, I try to draw from both primary and secondary sources frequently. When writing about the Nicaea, I quoted Athanasius, etc. I think the important thing is to make sure that your primary sources back up your secondary sources and that your secondary sources support your interpretation of your primary sources. It's good to always have a balance of both.

A good secondary monograph is worth its weight in gold. It will have detailed quotes and analyses of the primaries. It will point you to where you need to go and will keep you from making silly mistakes.

Well good! Thanks! Undoubtedly, I want to wade through them as much as I can, I want a more introductory grasp, especially if I get a chance to show future students. While I can read fairly fast, reading all of Schaff's translations would probablt take me forever when I would want to move on to Medievals, etc.

The Library of Christian Classics is a curated collection that would hit a lot of the highlights. Rather weak on the Greek-speaking side, but the Popular Patristics series can be used to offset that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back