Please help me understand homeschool curriculums

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayPot

Puritan Board Sophomore
I know that there are many homeschool "curriculums" one can purchase. I am confused though because many of them use overlapping components, e.g., they both use Singapore math or something like that. So then what is a homeschool curriculum? Is it just one companies pick for the "best" materials in each category. Or does each company have its own way of doing certain parts like history which are unique to that curriculum only. I don't really have a specific question because I'm too lost to formulate one! If someone would be willing to explain what a homeschool curriculum is and how they differ in general (to someone who went to public school) it would be greatly appreciated.

Both types exist out there. Actually, there are very few companies that do the whole shooting match when it comes to curriculum. Some focus on language arts, some focus on history, others math, and so on. What happens is that companies bundle them according to what they think either fits their idea of education, will sell well, or some other logic. Some publishers have more of their own stuff. ABEKA is one example. Bob Jones is another. Christian Liberty also publishes a good bit of their own material, but it is more of the history bent.

Do you have some experienced home schoolers who share your world view in your area? If so, get with them. They will be able to guide you through the process.

Remember don't sweat it. You will figure it out and there are bunches of good stuff from which to choose.

Above all remember this: We are teaching them to go to Heaven, not Harvard.

Keep in mind that many companies sell to *ala carte* homeschoolers.

Homeschooling as come a long way from just *Abeka*. You can get *school in a box*, or you can hand pick each and every book!

Thanks for the reminder! As someone who has received a PhD, this is easy to forget. Better to raise a child to be wise in the Lord than an educated fool.

Thanks for the reminder! As someone who has received a PhD, this is easy to forget. Better to raise a child to be wise in the Lord than an educated fool.

I was raised in the home of a poor farmer's son who became a University Professor. I was raised in many ways to be an academic. I have to remind myself of the goal of home education almost daily.

Ding ding ding. Go to the head of the class.

We use Sonlight, by the way, and it is also a bit of a mix and match curriculum, but we see it as flexibility, not confusion.

We use Tapestry of Grace and have found it useful for both spiritual discipleship *as well as* academics. We also use Chalkdust Math and Apologia Science, as well as some other odds and ends.

I agree the *end all* should not be academics, but I think academics and striving for excellence *according to your child's abilities* are a tool for teaching to do all things to the glory of God and learning discipline and diligence.

I do not assume to know what God's plan for each of my children is, therefore, my goal is first and foremost to see them know Christ as their Savior, know and obey God's Word and walk with the Lord all their days. I *also* have the goal of seeing to it that my children are equipped on many different levels for whatever God may lead them to do. If His plan is for them to follow in my husband's trade, they will be prepared, but if His plan is for one to work in the medical profession, then I want to be sure they have the foundation to move forward with that. (This is hypothetical. My eldest just graduated and is pursuing the gift God has given her in the area of piano, but God has used her high academic achievements to open the door for her to attend a good Christian U via scholarship that *we* could never have afforded. :) And yes, yes, I know, many don't care about college these days...but this *is* God's plan for *this* child of *mine*. :) )

I sometimes get the impression that Christians feel it has to be *either/or* when it comes to academics...it doesn't. Granted, it is something to be aware of at all times. It certainly *can* become an idol.

I thought I'd come back and mention that you *will* see a difference between curriculum, such as Abeka and Christian Liberty. CLP *is* reformed and I *think* even more Presbyterian than Baptist. Abeka, obviously not...independent/fundamental. TOG is definitely reformed, but the authors are Sovereign Grace, not Presbyterian. It is a *discussion* curriculum though, and you use many different books, so you are not teaching *their* beliefs. I have no experience with Sonlight, but I have *heard* there is influence by Rushdoony and therefore leans Reconstructionist. Perhaps Kevin can comment on this.

My point is, you need to be aware of these things and keep that in mind as you make your choices, depending on the views to which you hold. I hope that didn't just make everything *worse*. :)

On a practical note, I will share that with Tapestry of Grace, you are purchasing a *framework* with specific recommendations for specific books. On the Dialectic and Rhetoric levels (loosely jr and sr high), the questions and discussion notes for the parent are geared for those *specific* books, so you would need to have access to them via library OR be able to purchase the additional books. I have been able to substitute most of the grammar level choices with books that are available to me without additional purchase, but the upper levels are as I stated. TOG also requires quite a bit of teacher time and planning as well as the time for the discussions. Some of the books chosen definitely NEED to be discussed and NOT just *handed over* to be read without following through with the thinking questions and discussion. (Again, this refers to the upper levels.)

CLP is one of the most affordable reformed curriculums available for someone who wants a *box set*. By that, I mean you go to them and order their package for your child's grade level and take what you get. I have several friends who have used CLP exclusively all the way up and very successfully so.

I hope that helps a bit.

In the elementary grades it's all right to buy a good curriculum (e.g. sonlight) that has every subject, but in junior high and high school you need to handpick the best curriculum you can find for each subject.

I've had the opportunity to home school all grades from pre-K to initial college by distance learning. Take a deep breath and repeat after me: your child will not end up illiterate and in the gutter because you chose the wrong spelling book in second grade.

OK, now take a look at the resources around you in an informal sense (and don't be impatient with me because I'm not jumping immediately to curriculum). Most people who are interested in home schooling already have the kind of home where reading and learning are respected and encouraged. This will go a long way to ensuring you will have a well-educated young man or woman, whatever you choose. Also, your church may have other homeschoolers who would love to help you. I found a children's librarian in our local facility who was terrific in giving me ideas to enhance our reading programs.

Regardless of your approach, for an overview, I'd suggest the What Your X-grader needs to know series: Amazon.com: What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know: Preparing Your Child for a Lifetime of Learning (Core Knowledge Series) (9780385318419): E.D. Hirsch Jr.: Books They can give you great ideas and help you know if you are giving your child a well-rounded education.

Now take a look at yourself: are you someone who likes to figure things out on your own? Or do you like someone to tell you, here's a, b, c, now follow the directions? This will give you a starting point for the curriculum you want to consider. Depending on your personality, either approach can work. Just exploring the different websites will give you a sense for the different approaches out there. Others have already mentioned the companies that follow this all-in-one or eclectic approach. As you get to know yourself (and each child!) you can mix-and-match more freely on your own.

Part of me wants to suggest that you start with a school-in-the-box approach so you can be sure you cover your bases until you know what you like. If you are starting mid-stream, i.e., with an older student, a "boxed" grade is definitely a good idea to buy you a year or so to figure out what works for your family. I hesitate for a younger student because a more casual approach is fine and it may leave you feeling a bit overwhelmed getting six boxes of material in the mail and the accompanying sense that you have to spend 8 hours a day homeschooling a 5 year old.

BTW, I like C. Van Til's definition of Christian education (my paraphrase): you are teaching your children that there are covenant keepers and covenant breakers.

I've had the opportunity to home school all grades from pre-K to initial college by distance learning. Take a deep breath and repeat after me: your child will not end up illiterate and in the gutter because you chose the wrong spelling book in second grade.

BTW, I like C. Van Til's definition of Christian education (my paraphrase): you are teaching your children that there are covenant keepers and covenant breakers.

Even though I *thanked* the post...I had to loudly agree with both of these points!

There are many, many good choices out there. :) And, if you try something one year and it doesn't work, don't be afraid to jump ship. Of course, that is harder to do if you have made a big investment. For this reason, I never encourage someone who doesn't have older students to invest in a program like TOG for the early years. (Not pushing TOG...just using it as an example. :) )

And, I have never heard that van Til definition, but it is excellent.

Polly, you are right about ToG. It is excellent, but does require a good bit of work. The good thing is that it works at all age levels. Buy it once and your done. If you use it you know this. :)

We have pretty much always put together our own curriculum. Until this year the backbone of it was CLP. This year we moved to ToG because that style fits our voraciously reading daughter mo' bettuh. We have used Math-U-See from the beginning. My daughter who 'stinks' at math - her description - is doing very well. She actually was able to work through a bit of Calculus from a college text I picked up at a sale. Not bad for some one who just finished Algebra 1. ;)

JW is right don't sweat it. Get started and you will find that you will figure it out. The most important thing you can do regarding the education of your child is read to them. Read to them after they can read, at a level above their reading level. Do it more than you think you should. This will 'imprint' them linguistically, teach the rhetoric on the sly, and cram some knowledge into their head. Read good books. Not popular books, unless they are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back