Lord’s Day Sermons — 9/2/23

clawrence9008

Puritan Board Freshman
Please feel free to let us know what your pastor preached on in his sermon today and what you took away from it for edification and application for your Christian life. Also if you are a pastor, please feel free to let us know what you preached on today!

My pastor continued in our series through Colossians this morning. He preached through Col. 1:9-14 (primarily focusing on v. 9-12). He discussed how all of the ways in which we walk in a manner worthy of the Lord listed in v. 10b-12 (bearing fruit in every good work, being strengthened in all endurance and patience with joy, etc.) flow out of the main petition of Paul’s prayer in v. 9 — that we would be filled with all knowledge of His will unto salvation. He emphasized that being overwhelmed by an experiential knowledge of who Christ is and who we are in Him (he referenced Paul’s prayers in Philem. 1:4-6 and Eph. 1:15-17 for this, as well) should and does naturally lead to us being enabled to live out the hallmarks of the Christian life. I.e. those who have a greater knowledge of how deeply they are forgiven in Christ will be far more inclined to forgive the wrongs of others. Also exhorted us to pray for others in this specific manner and to let them know that.

Our pastor preached from the first portion of Ephesians 1 this morning. One point that was particularly helpful: although he stated that predestination (and the Reformed view of it) is clearly stated here, he cautioned against taking that as the sole or primary point of this passage, and emphasized the importance of seeing in this passage our union with Christ and the full availability of all the listed blessings to all believers.

I preached on Romans 9:1-5: "The Privileges and Perils of Being God's People." This is part of a larger series on the book of Romans. I briefly touched on Paul's love for his people as those now (largely) separated from Christ, the benefits of belonging to the people of God in the past and present, as well as the dangers of being the church now without saving faith.

My pastor preached this morning on the ministry of reconciliation from 2 Corinthians 5:16-21. The church speaks with God's authority a passive command: "be reconciled". The very idea of a passive command is so jarring to me that it will certainly aid me in remembering that it is God who is doing the reconciling.

Our pastor preached from a portion of Acts 21 this evening, verse 22ff. One helpful point that he made was to distinguish between unbiblical concession to a philosophy of pragmatism as opposed to a Biblical willingness to accommodate differing convictions out of 1) a strong sense of security in one's own beliefs and 2) a desire for peaceableness. He referenced Paul's willingness to circumcise Timothy, and his refusal to circumcise Titus, as evidence that Paul was not willing to compromise on any point of importance, but that he knew where it was good to show flexibility and adaptability to his context. As an example, he cited his own preference for the Critical Text and mentioned an instance where he was asked to preach at a church, with the request that he preach from the KJV and pray using KJV language (thee, thine, etc.).*

Although it was not the only point in his sermon, it generated good conversation between my wife and me on the way home, and was also a particularly meaningful answer to prayer for her after a somewhat restless night in which she prayed earnestly for a good spiritual meal to be provided for her this Lord's Day.

*Since I'm not (at this level of education and spiritual discernment) a CT person myself, it was a rather ironic opportunity to ponder the application of my pastor's preaching to my thoughts regarding my own pastor.

My pastor preached from Romans 5:10-21 and about how we don’t become sinners but are born sinners. In fact, he stated (without really saying it) we are conceived sinners.

Back