Fencing the table - by dissmising the non-communing?

Sam Jer

Puritan Board Sophomore
Dr. R. Scott Clark writes in the comments of this 2022 Heidelblog article:
It was my time in a congregation where the Supper was administered weekly that forced me to think about the importance of fencing the table. Indeed, I think that were people confronted weekly with the exclusion from the table—perhaps we should follow the ancient practice of dismissing non-believers/those not yet professing/under discipline from the assembly during the administration of the Supper?
This is actually a thought I myself had a few times.
The practicalities of dissmising the children aside, what do you all think of the idea? Do any Reformed or other Protestant churches practice such a thing?

Dr. R. Scott Clark writes in the comments of this 2022 Heidelblog article:

This is actually a thought I myself had a few times.
The practicalities of dissmising the children aside, what do you all think of the idea? Do any Reformed or other Protestant churches practice such a thing?
I believe separating people (preferably coming forward to a prepared table, or reserving the seats at the front for communicants, or walking forward to receive the elements) is preferable to dismissing non-communicants. The Lord's Supper is a testimony, even to non-communicants. I would strongly protest excluding children, especially those marked as holy by their baptism. The Lord's Supper is a holy sign and one of its benefits is "to put a visible difference between those that belong unto the Church and the rest of the world" (WCF 27.1). You can't see a sign if you're not there, and you remove from non-communicants those portions of the sacrament which are of benefit to all: hearing the minister declaring the word of institution, praying, and blessing the elements, taking and breaking the bread, and taking the cup (WCF 29.3). In the Lord's Supper we have a picture of Christ's sacrifice for sinners - it is arguably the clearest representation of the Gospel we have been given. Why wouldn't we want as many people there as possible?

Good day.

1. Biblical Communion was a meal, so it would make sense that only Christians partook. Communion today is a quick part of a service, where non-Christians are in the mix.
2. Each believer stands or falls before God on His own. Elders Should caution people who are not a part of a church, but shouldn't physically fence them. If someone wants, they can eat and drink judgment upon themselves.
3. I used to be a part of a church that took it weekly. I didn't see people any more "Christian" than those who don't take it weekly.

Just some thoughts. Blessings!

If someone wants, they can eat and drink judgment upon themselves.
I appreciate your other comments, but shouldn't elders do all they can to protect someone from eating and drinking judgment upon themselves? Also, you're assuming that the rest of the congregation isn't affected by taking the sacrament with ungodly persons. The Catechism makes it clear that this offends God's covenant:

Lord's Day 30
Q.82 - Are those also to be admitted to the Lord's Supper who by their confession and life show that they are unbelieving and ungodly?
A. - No, for then the covenant of God would be profaned and his wrath kindled against the whole congregation. Therefore, according to the command of Christ and his apostles, the Christian church is duty-bound to exclude such persons by the keys of the kingdom of heaven, until they amend their lives.

I appreciate your other comments, but shouldn't elders do all they can to protect someone from eating and drinking judgment upon themselves? Also, you're assuming that the rest of the congregation isn't affected by taking the sacrament with ungodly persons. The Catechism makes it clear that this offends God's covenant:

Lord's Day 30
Q.82 - Are those also to be admitted to the Lord's Supper who by their confession and life show that they are unbelieving and ungodly?
A. - No, for then the covenant of God would be profaned and his wrath kindled against the whole congregation. Therefore, according to the command of Christ and his apostles, the Christian church is duty-bound to exclude such persons by the keys of the kingdom of heaven, until they amend their lives.
I see what you're saying. I do believe if someone in the church is in a place where the elders believe they should pass the supper by, they should privately encourage them in that way until they repent/trust. But yes, your thoughts do make sense to me.

BCA BCO 58-4: "...It is proper also to give a special invitation to non-communicants to remain during the service."

Back