Can context be used to infer a negative from a positive statement in John 10?

pgwolv

Puritan Board Freshman
I have been discussing John 10 with someone who denies the doctrines of grace. I pointed out how Christ is the Shepherd who lays down His life for His sheep, as a part of the doctrine of limited atonement. That brother, however, says that I commit the negative inference fallacy by doing so: just because it says for whom Christ dies, it does not say for whom He does not die. He tried to use a kind of a reductio by comparing my statement to that in Gal 2:20, where Paul says that Christ gave Himself for Paul; one cannot from that positive statement infer that Christ did not give Himself for others as well.

At this point, I said that the context differs. John 10 is focused on the role of Christ, whereas Gal 2:20 is focused on the way of justification; hence it is proper to ask "For whom did Christ die?" of the first text, but not the second. Then I am accused of using inconsistent hermeneutical principles in how I read these two texts. Either one can make negative inferences from positive statements in both, or not in either.

Now, the details of my reasoning are probably faulty, but I intuitively feel that I am not committing the said fallacy with regards to John 10. Or am I? Does the context not matter in how one interprets a passage? That person will have me believe that context is relevant in connecting two passages based on the meaning of the passages themselves, but not in interpreting a specific passage on its own.

I need some insight from the clear thinkers on the PB, please.

Hello PG,

Your discussion partner, in saying, "just because it says for whom Christ dies, it does not say for whom He does not die", errs. For Jesus does say for whom He does not die: "But you believe not, because you are not of my sheep, as I said to you" (John 10:26).

Your "friend" is trying to spin a web of complexity and extraneous material around your mind. Jesus said the same again in John 8:47, "He that is of God hears God's words: you therefore hear them not, because you are not of God." Again, in John 18:37, "...To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth hears my voice."

I would say to him, stay with the passage at hand; Galatians speaks of a different matter. Jesus is very clear that there are those who are not of His sheep: they do not hear His voice, nor love the truth He is and speaks.

Keep it simple. Do not let him bring in all sorts of unwarranted nuances, when Jesus is speaking plainly.

Back